(This feature is available in BCSS Diamond and Virtual. 888-427-5779 )
'Retail' is purchasing merchandise from businesses (suppliers, wholesalers, craftsmen, etc.) for resale. 'Buy Outright' (resale) is purchasing merchandise from individuals for resale.
Some engaged in buy outright (second-hand dealers, consignment shops) are required to record and report information about individual sellers and their merchandise. Check with local law enforcement. (See police and LEADS reporting.)
Currently stores engaged in retail are not required to record information about sources (of retail merchandise) but it may be useful to enter sources in the inventory records of retail items as reminders. ("From whom did we purchase those widgets?").
Retail Made Simple in BCSS
BCSS records source, quantity, description, buy and sell prices of retail merchandise, prints price labels/hang tags, processes the sale of retail items and reduces quantity as each item is sold. The program computes profit/loss and produces retail reports.
All activity related to shop-owned items is recorded in the 'Transfer Account' (the main 'House Account'). Shop-owned items are those belonging to the shop owner(s), items donated to the shop (like unsold items transferred to shop ownership, other donations, contributions), and items with no cost basis.
- If multiple shop owners wish to manage items separately, client accounts should be created for each person and the accounts should not be designated as House Accounts. The accounts will actually be consignment accounts. Set the Client % at 1 (for 100%) to pay all sales proceeds to the owner of the item. Settlements would need to be processed and payments would be made to respective owners.
In Program Setup > Clients check this box to activate the Transfer (House) Account:
The Transfer Account will appear in the Clients Work Area as 'Transfer' (or 'House Account' in older versions of the software).
If all sales proceeds are to go the House Account, be sure to check this box on the new-client screen for every retail account:
Record Retail Items Information in BCSS
- Select a House Account in the Clients Work Area.
- In the lower-left menu click on Batch Retail.
- Enter up to 20 characters for a Description (to appear on price labels and in reports).
- Use the Enter Key to record each entry and move to the next cell.
- If applicable select a Category from the drop-down menu and press Enter.
- Pressing the first letter of a category name will present a list of categories starting with that letter. It is necessary to use the mouse or down arrow to select, then press Enter.
- A default category can be set in Program Setup > Inventory to avoid repetitious entry of the default category.
- In Details enter additional information like the name of the supplier and additional item identifiers.
- Enter a selling price ('Price') and press Enter.
- Enter the Retail Cost and press Enter.
- Change the quantity if needed.
- To avoid recording blank records in inventory (and printing blank labels), do not click on any row below the last row used for item entry. To be sure, enter the last row number here:
- Check 'Label Quantity = Item Quantity' to print multiple labels for the same item in a quantity equal to the number set in the table under 'Quantity'.
- Press Cancel to close the screen and not save entries.
- Select any of the options under 'Use these buttons for sheet labels only' to print sheet labels.
- Select 'Thermal' to print thermal labels.
- Click Save to add the items to inventory and close the Batch Retail Screen.
- To confirm entries, in the Inventory Work Area click on 'Today':
- If the item(s) aren't present, click on View All then on Today again.
Any list of information is a 'report' and there are several ways to create, view and print lists (reports) in the program:
- Select the House or Transfer Account in the Clients Work Area and click on Items at the bottom. An item record can be selected then edited by clicking on Edit Item in the lower-left menu. The selected item can be deleted. If attempted a warning message will appear. Click OK to delete or cancel to not delete.
- Click on the blue Reports button at the top then select Inventory. Select House Account for the Client and set any parameters on the page to define which data should appear in the report.
- Reports can be generated for one or more House Accounts by clicking on Clients on the Reports screen and setting parameters there. Check 'House Accounts Only'. Reports will include House Account Names, # of Items, Balance, Dates Entered, Sales and Settlements.
There can be multiple House Accounts in use, for a variety of reasons, like one or more accounts per business owner/partner to create separation.
- Sales Reports can be created using the Sales-Report page on the Reports screen.Select the House Account and set search parameters.
Record Information About Suppliers
It wouldn't be necessary to create client records for suppliers. It may be sufficient to place supplier information in the Details field of the item record then find the item record by scanning a barcode in the Inventory Work Area or by using the key-press search function below the list of items in the Inventory Work Area. (details) Watch a video
Best Consignment Shop Software© 2001-2018 888-427-5779